Wednesday, 30 November 2016

The Last Night by Cesca Major



It's not often that I do book reviews (partly because most of the books I read are on my Kindle so I can't get pretty photos of them!), but I decided that I would tell you all about one of my most recent reads that I was kindly sent - The Last Night by Cesca Major.

I love Kate Morton books, which are often set in the past and are a bit of a mystery with some romance thrown in, and the blurb of this book seemed to have a similar storyline, so I was sure that I would like it before I even picked it up.

The Last Night follows the story of Irina, a furniture restorer in a quiet coastal village, who one day is given a mysterious bureau to restore by an anonymous owner. As she begins to work on the bureau, she finds objects that unravel secrets from long ago, and the further she investigates, the weirder it gets. It also switches to a girl called Abigail from decades ago, who fell in love over one summer but could not know the terrible events that lay ahead of her, and how her life would change so completely. The book eventually links the two women in a twist that could not be predicted.


If I'm completely honest, it took me a while to get into this book. I did enjoy it all the way through, but it was a slower read than usual for me. And then around 100 pages from the end I really got into it, and couldn't put it down. I loved the ending and thought it was the best part of the novel - I was sad to finish it in the end and leave Irina and Abigail behind (anyone else get really attached to characters in a book?!).

This is definitely a book worth reading, even if you have to be a little bit patient to start with, and I am going to look into more of Cesca's novels to read in the future. The Last Night was very moving yet relatable, and I kept thinking about the story long after I put it down.
Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
                           - J.K. Rowling
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment