Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Everything You Told Me by Lucy Dawson



I seem to have been writing about books quite often here on PYT, but I have been sent a couple recently and feel like I'd like to share them with you as they have been really good.

Everything You Told Me follows the protagonist, Sally, a normal mum from Kent with two young children and a husband. One morning she finds herself in the back of a taxi, 300 miles away from home. She has £400 to pay the taxi driver and a suicide note in her pocket. But she has no recollection of how she got there - or of the last 10 hours. Sally knows that she wasn't going there to kill herself, but nobody believes her. The story follows the unravelling of the mystery of that evening, as well as discussing normal day-to-day family life, which makes it very relatable.


I couldn't put this book down - I read it in about a week, even though I have been quite busy. It reminded me a bit of The Girl on the Train with the whole mystery and losing of memory, but I actually think I preferred this book, and that's a big shout because I loved The Girl on the Train! It's one of the best novels that I've read in a long time.

And oh, THE ENDING. I did predict the main perpetrator that was involved with the night that Sally couldn't remember, but the ending put a whole new twist on it that I would never have anticipated. The last few chapters were so gripping, and the ending has still stayed with me up until now, a few days after I finished reading it.


I have recommended that all of my housemates read this book, and I definitely think you should too. I literally think I'm going to go around promoting it for the next few weeks - it's out on 5th January but you can pre-order it on Amazon now. I will be making all of my friends and family read this. I just can't believe how amazing it is!!! I think I will be reading psychological thrillers from now on - I've just downloaded another of Lucy's books onto my Kindle.
Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment