Thursday, 1 December 2016

Hannah the domestic goddess


This evening we decided to have a meal as a house with my uni housemates, and tonight I was the designated chef. So I thought I'd talk you through what I cooked!

The first thing I gave everyone was a glass of Buck's Fizz, because y'know, it's the 1st of December and nearly Christmas and all that (like you ever need an excuse to drink Buck's Fizz). It was just a £1.99 bottle from Aldi and was actually really good!


I then made Baked Camembert, which I thought I would talk you through how I made it, as it's a really quick and easy starter - but delicious as it's so cheesy and gooey...

You will need:
- Camembert in a wooden box (you can buy these from all supermarkets - I got these from Aldi*)
- Pesto
- Pine nuts/seeds

*This is not a sponsored post for Aldi, I just really like Aldi products...

How to make:
1) Set the oven to around 150 degrees or gas mark 4-5.
2) Take any plastic packaging from around the cheese and mark a cross in the top with a knife.
3) Place the camembert in their boxes onto the top oven shelf (remove the lid), and bake for 15-20 minutes.
4) If you would like to have a pesto camembert, mix the pesto and pine nuts/seeds in a bowl to make a paste, and add onto the top of the camembert after it has cooked for 15-20 mins. Put back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
5) If you stick a knife into the camembert and it comes out messy, the cheese is cooked!

I served mine with bread, carrot sticks, celery, cucumber and crisps, but you can dip anything into it that you feel like. Bread sticks are always a good option.


For the main I made Macaroni Cheese (which I didn't get a photo of because I was too eager to eat it). This is a recipe that my mum and dad have made since I was a child - and I actually thought it was the normal way to make macaroni cheese until I ordered it in a restaurant and was disappointed that it didn't taste the same. Trust me, my parents' macaroni cheese is the best macaroni cheese.

You will need...
- Macaroni pasta
- Campbell's condensed tomato soup
- Red onion
- Cheddar cheese

How to make:
1) Boil the macaroni cheese and a chopped up onion in a pan until the pasta is cooked (10-12 mins usually does it).
2) Drain the pasta and onions, put it back into the pan, and add the tomato soup. It is important that it is condensed so that it has a thicker texture. Cook this on the hob for a minute or two to warm the soup up.
3) Stir in grated cheese. Add as much as you like to make it cheesy as you like (I added about half a block of cheese today. I like cheese).

I served the macaroni cheese with some garlic bread.

And then for pudding. I cheated a bit and bought it as I'm not the best baker in the world. But I bought some Mince Pies and Stollen, which was amazing as it made us feel even  more Christmassy. Most of my housemates hadn't tried Stollen before, but I love it - it's basically a German cake with marzipan and raisins. So delicious.

So there we are; Hannah the (sort of) domestic goddess. I'm not the biggest lover of cooking, but I did enjoy tonight as it was fairly easy and completely not stressful. It was also lovely to spend a few hours just sat chatting with my housemates - before we put the TV on and watched The Apprentice and I'm a Celeb.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment