Thursday, 26 January 2017

Swimming


I haven't been swimming since I was in Italy in the summer, so my housemate and I decided to go to our local pool this evening. Obviously this pool isn't quite as serene as the one we had on the Amalfi Coast, but it made me remember how much I enjoy swimming, and how relaxed it makes me feel.

I'm already aching all over, but I feel really, really good after a chilled out swim. I feel like I'm going to sleep much better tonight, and I also feel really relaxed. I think I'm going to start trying to go to the pool a couple of times a week (although this has to fit in with hair washing days, of course!), and I'm hoping that it will help settle my sleep, as I haven't been sleeping well at all since Christmas.

I also think that swimming is really good for your mental health. It's a form of exercise, so makes you release endorphins. But it's not really a competitive sport if you just go to the pool for a swim, so it doesn't stress you out in that way. It makes you tired, so you sleep better at night. And it's really relaxing - I guess a form of mindfulness, if you focus on the feel of the water and the smell of the chlorine. I love it, and I can't wait to go again at the weekend!
I am learning to love the sound of my feet walking away from things not meant for me.
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment