Monday, 27 February 2017

MH Monday: The day after the weekend before


I always find Mondays hard, but I especially find Mondays hard when I've had a great weekend before them.

I had such a busy few days this weekend just gone, and I saw quite a few different people so I really enjoyed myself, but I woke up this morning feeling, well, flat. The thought of getting out of bed made me feel sick, and the thought of talking to anyone felt horrendous. I felt like any little thing would make me cry, and I knew that I could not get myself up to get into placement.

Days like this don't happen very often for me anymore, so when they do they make me feel awful. I wouldn't exactly say that I felt depressed, but I felt very fragile and like any small thing could push me over the edge. So I decided to stay in bed.

The good thing about days like these is that I now know how to deal with them - I know that I need to take it slowly and have some time to myself doing things that I enjoy. I eventually got up and out of bed, and I spent a couple of hours watching TV and eating lunch. After that I felt mentally strong enough to do some work, which then made me feel better as I was being productive.

I think the main reason that I get days such as these is because it is a Monday. I've noticed a pattern, whereby after a really good weekend I just feel like I can't function normally, and I can't shake this negative feeling off. I was also probably quite tired after doing a lot of driving which really doesn't help with my mood. Maybe I need to stop having such fun weekends!!

I guess what is important is that I know how to recognise my symptoms and what to do about them. I know that I am going to be much more productive staying at home and trying to slowly make myself feel better, and I realise that it's okay to take a mental health sick day. I feel much better this evening and have been able to interact with my housemates and make myself some dinner.

Monday mornings are not fun!
The first step to getting what you want is having the courage to get rid of what you don't.
#projectsmile



1 comment:

  1. Glad you're taking time to look after yourself :) I kind of know what you mean - I also really struggled for the first time in a long time this Monday. I'd spent the weekend at home, but then Sunday evening back at my flat I felt a bit rubbish (most obvious by me sobbing the whole way through call the midwife!). I woke up on Monday not wanting to do anything which is so unusual. If it wasn't for the plumbers coming round and the fact I had to do an on-call shift, I really wouldn't have gotten up! But using my late start to make sure I did nice things for myself until I went to work put me in a much better mindset :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle & Wellbeing

    ReplyDelete