Friday, 24 February 2017

Washed Away: From Darkness to Light by Nikki DuBose



I've been a bit AWOL from my blog the past few days, partly because I haven't really done much so I haven't had much to write about, but also because I felt like I needed a bit of a break from writing. I think it's actually the longest I've ever gone without posting! But I'm back from my short blogging hiatus and wanted to post about a book that I was kindly recently sent.

Washed Away: From Darkness to Light is a memoir by Nikki DuBose, an ex-model and actress. The book follows Nikki's life, from childhood to the present, and documents all of her struggles with anorexia, bulimia, drugs, alcohol, depression and psychosis. It reveals the darker side of the fashion and modelling world, and the lengths that some people go to to be 'beautiful'. Nikki's childhood was, quite honestly, horrendous - she had to deal with sexual and physical abuse, an alcoholic mother, and a very early onset of an eating disorder. Nikki talks us through how she came through the other side of her addictions and mental health problems, and her determination and honesty is both admirable and inspirational.


I really enjoyed Washed Away, and it left me feeling very thoughtful and inspired. Nikki has had such a hard life, and if she can come through the other end then I feel like anyone can. As you know, I am very interested in mental health, and the majority of this book is focused around problems like eating disorders, psychosis, self-harm and depression. I found Nikki's story really fascinating, and it was interesting how her childhood shaped her adulthood and her mental health. 


If you are having a hard time yourself, or if you have had your own mental health problems, I feel like you could relate to Nikki's story and I would definitely recommend having a read. Some parts were quite difficult to read about (like the childhood sexual and physical abuse), but it opened up my eyes to what goes on in the world and how you don't know what's going on behind closed doors.

A very inspiring and thought-provoking read!
I hope you know you're capable and brave and significant, even when it feels like you're not.
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment