Thursday, 22 June 2017

I want to travel more of Europe


Going to Greece this summer made me realise how much I want to see more of Europe. Us living in the UK are so lucky having the whole of Europe a few hours' plane ride away, and I don't feel like I have made the most of that in the past. Although I have travelled a lot, especially last summer, so I'm definitely not complaining about that!

On our tour group in Greece there were quite a few Australians and they were explaining how lucky we are to have Europe on our doorstep, with so much history and culture to explore. Whereas in Australia, everywhere takes a long time to get to - the nearest place with lots of culture is Asia, and even that is 8-10 hours away on a plane. Also they were saying that Australia is beautiful, but it just doesn't have the history like Europe does. For example, Athens is thousands of years old and the buildings reflect this. The current Australia as we now know it is only just over 200 years old, dating back to when Britain transported convicts to the Australian continent. That means that most of the buildings do not have a long history to them, and the oldest Australian culture comes from the Aboriginal Australians. Australia does not have the old cities to explore like Europe does.

So that got me thinking - there are so many places in Europe that I would like to travel to. Yes, 'travel'. Most people from the UK would not see Europe as travelling but just a holiday, whereas if you said you were going to backpack around Asia or Australia, you would then be seen as a traveller. Well I think that that's a bit silly and that any sort of exploration of a new place should be seen as travelling, even if it's just within the UK and a short drive away.


When I start working I'm probably not going to be able to take more than a week off work at a time, so I would like to go on some city breaks in Europe. The places that are top of my list are Budapest, Barcelona, Venice, Krakow and Paris. I also would like to see more of Britain, and really want to visit Brighton, Scotland and Ireland. There are some beautiful places that are so close to home and I just haven't made the time to see them yet. For example, Manchester is only about an hour away from Liverpool and I've never been there.

I think one of the things that I am most excited about in Europe is the foooooood. You just can't beat food from around the Mediterranean - everything seems to taste much better and have more flavour. I'm excited to embrace some different cultures (even if it's just seeing bagpipes in Scotland), have some new adventures, and spend some quality time with friends and family in a new place.
Be happy in the moment, that's enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.
                      - Mother Theresa
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment