Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Adulting is hard


When I first considered moving into a flat by myself I didn't really consider the mundane chores that would come with it - setting up council tax, sorting out gas and electricity bills, finding time to be home so that the WiFi could be installed, etc. I knew that I would have bills to pay, but I didn't have much of an idea how much they would cost or when I would need to pay them.

Today I have spent the majority of the day sorting out typical 'adult' things. I put a wash on and changed my bed sheets, then spent the rest of the afternoon putting away my clothes in my wardrobe. Then I had to check my gas and electricity meters and ring British Gas to sort my bill and direct debit out. After all that I felt quite exhausted, but I still had to cook my dinner and wash and dry up. And I couldn't even consider a nap because I know I need to be up early tomorrow for work, and I won't get to sleep tonight if I had slept in the day.


None of the tasks were particularly difficult, but when they are all added up they become quite tiring (and boring!), and they take quite a while to complete. With starting work I now feel like I have much less time to myself, and on days when I would normally spend hours sleeping or watching Netflix, I now have jobs to do around the flat.

I guess I'm just going to have to get used to being a 'proper' adult, but people definitely underestimate how hard it is at first! I think they should teach us about bills and taxes in school, as I had no idea about any of it until it came to actually paying them.

Anyway, I'm off to bed (it's 8.30pm) - I'm not sure whether that makes me a responsible adult or more of a child than I have ever been...
Be the reason someone smiles today.
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment